Wednesday, January 02, 2013

And now while I sort all this out...

A few words. 
First, from the lovely Anne Lamott:


[Not my image, but I really love this and have seen it reposted everywhere]

Next, I fear that the rise of reality tv has left people with the unfortunate belief that these are appropriate standards for behavior. While I'm not sure I'd want all of the strictures of Austen's society, there was a real sense that when people behaved terribly, they were removed from polite society. Now, we pay them lots of money and attention to do their worst, and not rise above. This is why I don't watch the village idiots collect their dues. As much as schadenfreude is the most human of emotions, paying attention to Jersey Shore or Honey Boo Boo distorts our views of normalcy, and lets us think that if women can fight over The Bachelor, maybe it's alright to follow suit.

It's not, though unknown enough that you can buy books from Pippa on the topic.

More on the topic when I've sorted out all the things.

Sigh.




No comments: