Thursday, December 20, 2012

Life & Other Pursuits

Shortly after my last post, a number of things happened.
1. I went on a cross-country road-trip with my boyfriend, all through the east coast, through way of the south, and Canada. We listened to all 20 discs of The Three Musketeers, only slept in a hotel once, reconnected and made some wonderful new friends, saw War Horse (aka, My Little War Ponies), and had a pretty epic birthday to say the least. Most of my trips are family or dance related, and this was the first of its kind since Europe. Scary and super refreshing.

2. I joined a dance team. No, not that kind of dance.  Lindy hop and charleston, specifically. 
We do things like this:

Due to the inoperativeness of the camera, I am occasionally cut off on the far right of the screen. Biggest accomplishment? Not clenching my hands into fists at the end of the baby doll. It is a trust fall.

3. I got a new job, which switched industries, professions, corporate culture, etc... and put me among the ranks of the train commuters. So while I now interact with strangers much more, I really look forward to not driving in the snow, even if it means that I'm the occasional Ikea Pack Mule. I can count my commute on Fitocracy, right? *cricket, cricket

It is a steep learning curve, which is good (long-term career development), but also intimidating and a little challenging. There are also random events where things go opposite to my expectations. For example, Le Ikea Pack Mule carried a homemade cake, homemade cookies and a store-bought bundt cake, convinced that the high powered professionals would go for the fancy bundt instead of my humble cake and cookies. Wrong. They saw me coming with the personally-frosted cake and followed me to the party. Only the bundt had a few pieces left, the rest were crumbs.

These next few weeks, with time to rest, recap, and plan will be a much needed break. I didn't take a break between jobs, except for Thanksgiving, and after the last few months' crisis:handled-overdrive mode that I've been in, I'm starting to stress because there isn't anything to stress about. Sigh.

There were many smaller things that happened, but these were the majors. Now, I'm off to dance on a weeknight thanks to tomorrow's holiday, saints be praised!

No comments: